Finding the Location of a Text String in the Source Code
Assume that you want to be able to quickly locate where a certain text string exists in the source code. How can you do this? Specifically: which file contains the code and where (which line or lines of code)? Here are some simple steps to do just that:
- Most text strings are stored in the file ”languages.asp”, so open it in your HTML editor
- Do a search for the words you are looking for
- Locate the line that contains those words. If there are more than one, you can probably guess which one it is by looking at the name of the variable. If not, you'll have to do a bit of guessing until you find the right one.
- Copy the name of the variable, without the language name. So - for example - if the variable is:
dictLanguage.Add "english_viewPrd_3", "Price: "
you will highlight and copy just “viewPrd_3”.
- Run a store wide, source code search for the string you just copied, using a tool such as the Find & Replace utility built into Adobe Dreamweaver. Double-click on the result to open the file that contains that string, in the exact location where it is used in the source code. Continuing on the example above, a store wide search for “viewPrd_3” would return two results: the “languages.asp” file itself, and then the following:
indicating that this line of code is included in the file “pc/viewprdcode.asp”.