This area of the Control Panel allows you to select which products to show on ProductCart's default home page (pc/home.asp). The default home page can shows a list of featured products, specials, best sellers, new arrivals, and other information, based on your settings. It can also highlight a particular product (e.g. “Product of the Week”).
You can edit this page by selecting Pages > Manage Special Pages > Home Page.
The following display settings can be changed there:
- Page description: You can show some text at the top of the page. You can use HTML in your description, so if could contain multiple graphics promoting different sales or new products, an animation, etc. If the description is empty, this area of the page is hidden.
In the source code, the description is contained in a DIV that is styled using the class pcPageDesc, which can be edited by editing pc/pcStorefront.css. When the description is empty, the DIV is hidden.
- Product display for featured products: you can choose a display option for how featured products are displayed, if any. Your options are: Specials, new arrivals and best sellers, which are shown at the bottom of the home page (if any) are always shown in a list.
The Product Quick View feature (which can be enabled in Miscellaneous Settings) is particularly useful on the home page as it allows customers to quickly obtain additional information on these products. This feature can be turned on and off on the Miscellaneous Settings tab of the Store Settings of the Control Panel.
- In a List
- In a List (multiple Add to Cart)
- Highlight the first featured product: You can make the first featured product more visible on your store's home page by using this feature (e.g. 'Product of the Month'). The order in which products are shown is set on the Manage Featured Products page. You can indicate which product is the 'first' featured product by using the Order field on the page.
- Other display settings: There are two display settings that apply to best sellers, new arrivals, and specials, which are shown at the bottom of the page, below Featured Products.
- Show the product part number(SKU). The product part number is shown, just below the product name.
- Show the small product thumbnail. A small version of the product thumbnail is shown. The size is set through the pcShowProductImageL class in the pcStorefront.css style sheet.
- Products to show: For any of the product sections that can be shown on the home page, enter “0” to hide that section. For example, if you don't want to show “specials” on the home page, enter “0” in the corresponding input field. Use the Order field to set the order in which the sections should be shown.
- Featured Products: Featured products are shown above the other sections. You can define which products to show by adding and removing products from the Manage Featured Products page.
- Specials. You can define which products to show by adding and removing products from the Manage Specials page.
- New Arrivals. What constitutes a New Arrival is set through the Manage New Arrivals section of the Control Panel.
- Best Sellers. What constitutes a Best Seller is set through the Manage Best Sellers section of the Control Panel.
The following example has Specials, New Arrivals, and Best Sellers enabled:
ProductCart’s default home page is located in the pc directory. It doesn’t have to be your Web site’s home page, and you can certainly link to it to your Web site’s home page. However, if you want it to make it your Web site’s home page, you can do the following:
Search Engine Friendly Redirect to "home.asp"
You can redirect visitors to your Web site home page to “home.asp” in a search engine friendly way by using a “301 Permanent Redirect”. To create a redirect file:
- Use Notepad or an HTML editor and create a blank page called default.asp
- Copy and paste the following code into your blank page:
<% Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently" Response.AddHeader "Location", "/productcart/pc/home.asp" %>
- Adjust the code to account for the fact that you might have renamed the productcart folder
- Save the file and upload it to the “Root” directory/folder on your Web server
No other code is needed. This file will redirect visitors (and search engine spiders) to your ProductCart-powered home page. Once again make sure to edit the path to home.asp to match the actual directory structure on your Web server.
Moving "home.asp" to the root
You can move the file to the root directory of your website by making some code changes. This method is only recommended for more experienced users. Since the “301 Permanent Redirect” method mentioned in the previous section is completely search engine friendly, you do not need to move “home.asp” to the root.